This directory was born from /WebOfTrustInfo/self-sovereign-identity, the original SSI repository.
In my opinion, the best overall article on the subject is still Christopher Allen’s rallying cry: The Path to Self-Sovereign Identity. Christopher did an outstanding job of outlining the history of internet identity standards, and introduces 10 Principles of Self-Sovereign Identity, currently in revision.
However, considerable additional material has been created on the subject since then, including some helpful criticism on the principles. Some of initial thoughts have been organized in evolution-of-ssi.
Then I realized that I should make a more complete survey of the subject, if I want to be thorough. So now I’m collecting as much SSI info as I can, and organizing it here. Once I’ve completed a review of existing literature on the subject, I’ll put it into a google shared doc to encourage further participation.
SSI Documentation Components
The Path to Self-Sovereign Identity - The original article on Self-Sovereign Identity and the 10 Principles of Self-Sovereign Identity as published on 2016-04-25 in github and at Life With Alacrity by Christopher Allen [ϟ]
- 10 Principles of Self-Sovereign Identity - The Self-Sovereign Identity Principles, in progress of being revised.
- Core Characteristics of Self Sovereign Identity - from A Technlogy-Free Definition of Self-Sovereign Identity - Topic paper for Rebooting Web of Trust III by Joe Andrieu (for review and comparison against 10 Principles of SSI)
- Self-Sovereign Bill of Rights - lifeID (founded by Chris Boscolo) adapted the 10 Principles of Self-Sovereign Identity into a Bill of Rights that all self-sovereign identity solution should uphold.
- Schutte’s Take offers criticism on the 10 principles.
- 7 Myths of Self Sovereign Identity - from Timothy Ruff’s blog post.
- A Gentle Guide to Self Sovereign Identity has a section called “How would self-sovereign identity work for the user?” that could be modularized.
- How to Convince Dad* of the Importance of Self-Sovereign Identity (*and your sister and your daughter and your best friend and your nephew) (SSI Use-Cases)
- Self-Sovereign Identity and the Legitimacy of Permissioned Ledgers
- Identity and Digital Self-Sovereignty - Blog post by Natalie Smolenski
SSI: A Roadmap for Adoption from Rebooting the web of trust, Spring 2018.
This document proposes the formation of a short-term team to develop consistent messaging for the Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) market.
- Inevitable Rise of Self-Sovereign Identity
- Self-Sovereign Identity: Why Blockchain?
- IBM-Paving the Road to Self-Sovereign Identity with Blockchain, Open Standards
- The Three Models of Digital Identity Relationships — How self-sovereign identity (SSI) is different, and why it’s better
- The Rise of Self-Sovereign Identity - Hyperledger Indy
- Paving the Road to Self-Sovereign Identity with Blockchain, Open Standards
- Deployment of a Blockchain-Based Self-Sovereign Identity - Delft
- The Nail Finds a Hammer: Self-Sovereign Identity, Design Principles, and Property Rights in the Developing World
- GDPR - A reflection on the ‘self-sovereign identity’ and the Blockchain
- Self-Sovereign Privacy By Design
- Is Self-Sovereign Identity the ultimate GDPR compliance tool? [1\3]  
- Towards Self-Sovereign Identity using Blockchain Technology
- Self-sovereign Identity – Opportunities and Challenges for the Digital Revolution
- Decentralized Identity Trilemma
- Self Sovereign Identity and MyData
- HIPE 0014-ssi-notation
- IIW - Past Workshops
- Self Sovereign Identity -identitywoman.net
- Self Sovereign Identity going where no identity has gone before
- LESS identity
- A Primer on Functional Identity; Joe Andrieu describes identity terms in plain language, with regards to what function they serve.
- Matching Identity Management Solutions to Self Sovereign Identity Solutions
- A Brief Introduction to How SSI Infrastructure Can Integrate Digital Fiat Currency (DFC)
- There’s A Facebook Alternative, It’s Called Self-Sovereign Identity —coindesk
- A Universal Resolver for self-sovereign identifiers [G] [>]
- Identity and the quest for Self Sovereign Identity - Daniel Hardman
- Self Sovereign Identity and the MyData model from Finland - Antti ‘Jogi’ Poikola
- Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) and Open Source – Richard Esplin from SSIMeetup
- Decentralized Identifiers enable self-sovereign identity - MyData 2018
- eIDAS and Self-Sovereign Identity - MyData 2018
- uPort: Self-Sovereign Identity Meets Portable Data
- Behind the Cloud—Blockchain and Self-Sovereign Identity in the Enterprise
- The Story of Open SSI Standards - Drummond Reed
- Kim Cameron - Identity Laws
- Kim Cameron Identity Laws
- What is Sovereign Source Authority? shows an early use of ‘sovereign’ in relation to our internet identities. The term “Self Sovereign Identity” started becoming widely used in 2014.[ϟ][ϟ]
- Sovrin Foundation Launches first dedicated Self Sovereign Identity Network
Social ShareTwitter Facebook LinkedIn Reddit